- C.U. Cycling’s route map to and from Carleton
- Flattest Route
- Route ideas: Go Biking, Bikely
- Park my Bike
- City of Ottawa bike map (2011-2012), includes list of stores to purchase paper copy for $2
- NCC/ City of Ottawa Cycling Map
- Proper Bicycle Locking Techniques
- Register your bicycle with the Department of University Safety at Carleton and lock up your bike in the bicycle compound ($10 fee)
- Operation Identification, offered through the Ottawa Police Services
If you want a used bicycle, your best bet is to hit up Cycle Salvation. Note that mountain bikes and hybrids are the easiest and cheapest to find! If you’re looking for a road bike, Dutch bike, or cruiser, you’ll pay more for a full build or you may have to spring for a new bike.
- Cycle Salvation, accessible by bus, located at the corner of Bronson and Gladstone
- Rentabike sells some bikes when they retire them at the end of the season
- Recyclore sells some bicycles
- Kijiji.ca is always a hotspot for used bicycles, but make sure you know what frame size you need – many ads will list bicycles by their tire size; this is not very helpful. If they don’t list the frame size, message the seller and ask. Most will measure their bikes for you.
Repair Shops/ diy
If you know how to fix up bikes, there are a few places in Ottawa that offer you the tools to do it yourself:
- The SFUO Bike Co-Op is located on the Lees Campus of the University of Ottawa. You don’t have to be a U Ottawa student to use their services. They have the best hours of all the DIY shops.
- Recycles is just up the road from Carleton. Volunteer with them to learn more about bikes! Note that Re-Cycles is co-located with Cycle Salvation – they’re two separate organizations!
- RightBike has DIY repair hours during the summer months.
If you need bike repairs, check out any of the bike shops below. Alternatively, there are a few other services in Ottawa that may be of use:
Local Bike Shops
- Alcatel-Lucent Sunday Bikedays NCC roads shut down on Sundays from 9am to 1pm in Ottawa and 6am to 11am in Gatineau Park during the summer months
- Capital Vélo Fest: cycling events June 1 and 2.
- Tulips on Two Wheels, a bicycle tour of the tulip festival, was held on May 5, 2012 by CfSC and will likely be held again for 2013!
- Bike to Work Day the month of May is bike to work day!