C.U. Cycling is teaming up with Healthy Workplace – Carleton University to bring you the Bicycle Tune-Ups and Cycling Mini-Fair on Thursday, May 21, 2015 from 11am to 2pm.
- Date: May 21, 2015
- Time: 11:00 AM – 2:00 PM
- Location: the neon green bike stand, next to the Architecture building at Carleton University
- Cost: Free
- Intended Audience: Anyone
The rain date is the following Thursday, May 28. Get your bike fixed up – or learn how to do it yourself! Exhibiting groups include:
- Capital Vélo Fest, a non-profit organization with the mission to “Inspire People of All Ages to Ride a Bike More Often”. They will have SMOOCH, the bicycle powered smoothie machine, colourful lights that glow in the dark to make your bike visible and tickets for the Tour La Nuit at a special discounted price for the mini fair.
- Carleton University Student Association (CUSA), the representative body of all undergraduate students attending Carleton University.
- Citizens for Safe Cycling, a membership-based non-profit association working to promote safe and efficient cycling in Ottawa.
- Escape Bicycle Tours, who offers guided, fully-supported bicycle tours to urban and rural destinations in the Ottawa, Ottawa Valley, and the Outaouais area.
- OPIRG Carleton, a centre for student organizing on campus. They support initiatives to fight discrimination and works closely with vulnerable communities to work towards meaningful change on campus and in the community.
- The Otesha Project, a national youth-led charitable organization that uses experiential learning, theatre and bicycle tours to engage and empower Canadians of all ages to take action for a more equitable and sustainable world.
- Parks Canada Outdoors Club of Carleton. Their main goal is to get people interested and active in outdoor activities. They host day and multi-day backpacking, canoeing, kayaking and snowshoeing trips throughout Ontario and the surrounding area. They also host more localized activities like slack-lining and picnics in the parks around Ottawa.
- RightBike, a social business that provides jobs and training for individuals in the community who are working to overcome barriers to employment. They deliver a community-based bike share service in Ottawa.
- Safer Roads Ottawa, a partnership between Ottawa Fire Services, Ottawa Paramedic Service, Ottawa Police Service, Ottawa Public Health and the Public Works Department. They will have cycling safety information, bike lights, bike bells, reflective armbands, and reflective tape.
The Student Federation of the University of Ottawa (SFUO) Bike Co-Op will be assisting by providing bike tune-ups.
We’re always looking for friends! If you would like to attend, drop us a line at .
Posted in Events
Tagged Bicycle Maintenance, Capital Vélo Fest, Citizens for Safe Cycling, CUSA, Escape Bicycle Tours, Healthy Workplace, OPIRG Carleton, Outdoors Club of Carleton, RightBike, Safer Roads Ottawa, The Otesha Project, tune-ups, uOttawa Bike Co-Op
The GSA and C.U. Cycling have returned this year with the Cycling and Eco Fair! Come on out for a rad time on September 10 (rain date September 17) from 10am to 4pm. There will be plenty of folks there to talk to about cycling and all forms of vaguely cycling-related topics.
Our friends from Cycle Salvation will be there providing some sweet, sweet FREE tune-ups. Last year was NUTS, so try to plan ahead. We weren’t able to fit everyone in, so try to soak up as much bike knowledge to do some repairs on your own!
The Eco Fair is brought to you by the GSA and CU Cycling with the support of CUPE 4600.
✓ This event is free.
✓ This event is wheelchair accessible.*
✓ This event is family-friendly.
✓ This event is dry.
So who’s gonna be there
The GSA and C.U. Cycling will be there repping it up… but I’m sure you’re curious to know who else will be attending, too! Our list is consistently being updated as more groups confirm:
- CUPE 4600
- Ecology Ottawa
- Carleton Food Centre
- OPIRG (adjoining event)
- The G-Spot
- Council of Canadians
- Polaris Institute
See you then!
*ACCESSIBILITY: To ensure that accessibility needs (like ASL translation) are met, please contact Justine at email@example.com by Sept 5th for services at The Eco Fair.
Do you want to learn more about maintaining your bicycle? The University of Ottawa Bicycle Co-Op is offering FOUR workshop dates for bicycle maintenance. Register today and get learning!
Workshops – Park Tool School™
The Co-op is super stoked to announce our summer workshop schedule! We will be teaching from the Park Tool School™ curriculum. Join us for one or all of these stellar workshops – those who complete all four will receive a certificate of completion of the “Park Tool School™ Bicycle Repair and Maintenance Clinic”.- Wednesday, July 10, 6pm-9pm – Basic bicycle maintenance, tires and tubes
– Wednesday, July 24, 6pm-9pm – Brakes: types, installation, replacing pads and cables.
– Wednesday, August 7, 6pm-9pm – Drive Train: freewheels/cassettes, pedals, cranksets, chains
– Wednesday, August 21, 6pm-9pm – Gears: derailleur installation and adjustment, chain/cog wear
Spaces are limited, so deadline to register is 48 hours before the workshop. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
Ateliers – Park Tool School™
Le Coop vélo est très heureux d’annoncer notre horaire pour les ateliers d’été! Nous enseignerons des éléments du programme « Park Tool School™ ». Joignez-nous dans un ou plusieurs de ces ateliers excellents – ceux qui complètent tous les quatre ateliers recevront un certificat de réussite du « Cours pratique de réparation et entretien de vélo Park Tool School™».
– Mercredi 10 juillet de 18 h à 21 h – Entretien de vélo de base, pneus et chambres à air
– Mercredi 24 juillet de 18 h à 21 h – Freins : types, installation, freins de remplacement et câbles.
– Mercredi 7 août de 18 h à 21 h – Éléments mécaniques : roues libres/cassettes, pédales, pédaliers, chaînes
– Mercredi 21 août de 18 h à 21 h – Équipement : installation et réglage de dérailleur, usure de chaîne/roue
Les places sont limitées, donc la date limite pour s’inscrire c’est 48 heures avant l’atelier. Envoyez un courriel à email@example.com pour vous inscrire.